Tuesday, November 21, 2006

My hats off to all the mom's today!

At airports across the country, mothers nursed their young in protest of a Delta airlines flight attendants decision to boot a woman off of a commuter flight in Vermont last month for refusing to cover her child's head with a blanket while nursing. The woman was seated in one of the last rows and her husband sat in the aisle seat next to her. She was nursing her child when the flight attendant handed her an airline blanket and requested that she cover her child's head. When the passenger declined she was asked to leave the plane.

This whole situation really angers me. As a nursing mother myself, I have been in situations where I needed to feed my child in public. It is reprehensible that with all the other smut that is blatantly thrown in our face through various media outlets, something as simple and natural and completely innocent as a mother feeding her child is deemed indecent by uneducated employees.

I too have had negative experiences while trying to do something as simple as feeding my child. When my first son was about two months old I was shopping at a local Wal-mart when he decided he was hungry. The only available places to sit were the dressing rooms and a bench located in front of the customer service desk. I asked the dressing room attendant if I could use one of the empty rooms to feed my baby and was told that I would need to go to the restroom in the back of the store to feed him. I refused pointing out that she most certainly did not eat her lunch in the restroom why should my son. She said that I would need to take it up with the manager. So of course I requested to see the store manager who was busy at the time. Instead an assistant manager met with me and told me that the restroom at the back of the store was a "family restroom" and that the dressing rooms were reserved for customers trying on clothing. I wanted to smack the uneducated little twit right across the face. I also asked her if she would be so gross as to eat her lunch in a public restroom only a few feet from where god knows who, carrying god knows what, had recently "relieved" themselves. At that point my son was screaming so I did the only thing I could. I parked my but on the bench right there in front of the customer service desk and proceeded with feeding my child. She was shocked. I realize that some people are not comfortable with the sight of a mother breast feeding her child in public which was why I requested the privacy of the fitting room. The assistant manager was shocked and before she could say a word I told her that I would need to see her boss. She started to say something, I don't know what, I cut her off telling her my conversation with her was over and repeated my request to see her boss. She got him on the phone and apparently he actually had some damn sense and said to let me into the fitting room.

I simply cannot comprehend what has happened to our culture that this is even an issue. We can have magazines with half naked women all over the newsstands. We can have ad campaigns on television and billboards showing women in too short skirts and little more than a bra on top all over the place. The minute a mother feeds her child the way we were designed to do, the way it has been done since the beginning of mankind, it becomes a problem. Again my hats off to all the women that turned out at BWI airport today, you made the evening news and while I may not have physically been there, I was most certainly there in spirit.

Great Savings at Mothercare.com. Click Here

No comments: